Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My med free, midwife assisted birth!






Im finally getting around to posting my birth story.. 3 weeks later! Tuesday December 13th we were out all day, went for a walk with Bentley and visited with family all day.. when we got home that evening I felt a little funny, but nothing out of the ordinary. I took a bath about 6 to see if that would relax me a bit and it did. I got Bentley ready for bed about 8 and he was asleep by 9, I came downstairs and watched tv with Chris for a little bit, about 10 I started getting what I considered braxton hicks only they were ten minutes apart on the dot from the beginning, which I knew this was it even though they werent painful yet, Chris kept asking me, "is this the real thing".. I knew it was but didnt want to get him over anxious before it was time to go to the hospital, so I told him to go get to bed and get some sleep just in case this was it. He went to bed about 1030, I stayed downstairs walking back and forth from the living room to the kitchen to keep things progressing. At 11 I went to bed thinking Id try and get some sleep, which obviously doesnt work very well when you are getting contractions every 7 minutes apart at that point! So I laid in bed sometimes dozing off inbetween contractions and I finally got up at 1230 and went and sat in the bath, and thats when the contractions starting getting super painful! I got out, got dressed and made my way downstairs to start consistently timing the contractions... this is 1 in the morning now and I timed the contractions for and hour until 2 while I called my mom and talked inbetween contractions! The hour I timed them they were anywhere from 3-5 minutes apart, so I knew it was time to get chris up and it was time to go! I woke him up at 215, we called his mom to come over and be with Bentley and we made it out of the door about 315, it was a 30 minute car ride and we got to the hospital, and might I mention the whole time on the way Chris was complaining that we were going to get sent home, I couldnt understand why he was saying this when I was in this much pain now! We got to the hospital at 345 they checked me to make sure I was in true labor, Chris was shocked to hear that I was at a 5 and my water was bulging and would break at any time! So they walked me to my room at this time its 4, we were in the room for about 30 minutes before I started to panic because I needed to PUSH! I got on my knees on the floor and told chris you need to get the midwife I wanna push! She came in about 10 minutes later this whole time Im trying so hard not to push, (because might I note that in the states with my Ob they tell you when to push and check to see your dialted to a 10 before they give you the go ahead, here on the other hand with the midwife, they let you do what your body is telling you to do and they dont even check your dialation) she told me do whatever your body is telling you to do, so I started to push, within the first two pushes my water burst and 5 minutes later at 505 little William was in the world and he was more beautiful than ever! It happened so fast William and I were a little in shock and shaking but settled down after a few minutes. It was the most empowering experience and I will add I am happy I had planned to go med free because it happened so fast even if I had wanted meds there wasnt enough time! I found the birth with William so different to Bentleys, with William I found the labor such a beautiful experience and just found that letting my body do whatever it needed to do went so much smoother than having interventions. William was 8lbs 2oz and 18 inches long! He is total opposite to Bentley already, Bentley was huge, everything from his hands and feet to his legs! William is my little runt, I think he was unfortunate enough to inherit my short legs.. poor kid! But just maybe he has a chance haha... he is an amzing baby just as bentley was, good sleeper and eater, I never imagined how busy I would be with two children but they keep me on my toes and I love every minute of it... Bentley is the greatest big brother, he is so in love with William, its the first thing he wants in the morning is to see William its so lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so excited for you. I agree, it is super busy, but so wonderful! Bentley is getting so big too. I bet he tries to be a big helper. I'm glad to hear that you are all doing well.

    Mikell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Thank you for sharing your story, Brittney. It's beautiful, and so is your family.

    ReplyDelete